10/09/2010

What a little watering of the garden can do for a girl.

I had set aside a few hours Thursday to work on an article. An early morning run calmed my mind and I had a clear idea of what I wanted to write about. But by the time my regular work was completed, I had lost my garden writing groove. The words, which usually come clear and smooth in sentences and paragraphs were tripping and stumbling onto the page. It wasn’t pretty.

So I packed it up and headed to the park to water my shade garden. The drive into the park failed to entice me. The leaves looked dull and brown, the grass crispy. And why are all these people running in the road? We have sidewalks!

I squeezed into the crowed parking lot and pulled my garden hose, a tangled and knotted mess, out of the trunk.

No one was picnicking near the lawn spigot. Ah, I had caught a break at last.  As I trained the hose on the Oak leaf Hydrangea, the warm water, as it rushed past my thumb, began to settle me. Deep breath. The Autumn fern looked rather nice. Another deep breath. I loved the way the sunlight maked the water look like silver flashes in the garden.

I watched the water, silver flashes set against the green of the garden.  It was beautiful. Beautiful the way it caught the sunlight. Beautiful how it moved through the air in graceful arches. And it was beautiful the way it turned my sour mood on its head.

2 comments:

  1. I'm left wondering why you are watering a shade garden in a park. I must have missed something here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This past summer, in our normally moderate Zone 6 - we endured unusual heat induced drought. Beginning as early as March, with sustained temps in the 90's, several of the shade gardens I tend required regular watering. The ones with new installations or semi-hardy specimens actually required supplemental H2O on an every-other-day basis for a few weeks. Establishing/maintaining low or no-maintenance Public green space is quite different from the Home garden.

    ReplyDelete