12/29/2011

Design Thoughts on a Garden


A Few of My Favorite Things at the park has been undergoing a renovation. It was two years ago (?) that I adopted the plot and since then I have puttered a bit here and there as I watched and waited to see what the garden would reveal. Part of the fun, or at times frustration, of taking over an existing plot is you really do not know what you have until you sit back and wait a while.  

Come this fall I was done waiting and was ready for a major overhaul.  I divided a large grass and relocated it to the back of the plot, removed some perennials that never really wowed me and installed some shrubs; a Virginia Sweetspire and a Mount Airy Fothergilla. (I think!! I lost the tags and my memory is a bit fuzzy.)

When I adopted my plots I made a critical error; I failed to consider structure within my garden. Even though the garden plots are part of the total design of the lawn area of the park which includes a continuous yew hedge, walkways, magnolias, a massive pergola and mature trees, the plots as well need to contain their own bones. In the winter my plots look a bit like blank stamps, sad voids, within the overall landscape design. 

The shrubs will undoubtedly help the plot maintain year-round interest. But I want to do more, something a bit outside the box. I was inspired by my new dedication to creating balance and harmony in my life. The above photo from Friendship Park in Cincinnati shows a circular path made of stones. The below image from my summer trip to Seattle features a cairn. What I plan for A Few of My Favorite Things is to incorporate a small, stone, circular path that leads to a cairn. In the summer much of this stone element will be obstructed by plants, but in the early spring and winter, the stones will be quite prominent.

I hope the addition will add a reflective atmosphere to my tiny plot. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    How are you doing in 2012? I have enjoyed reading your posts and seeing the gorgeous pictures of your garden plots. Am wondering why you have not posted any this year? What is your plot looking like in the winter?

    ReplyDelete