2/20/2012

Is this spring...already??

The day was brisk and the small slivers of sun that broke through the clouds gave the early spring flowers a luminous glow. It is only February and already flowers are starting to usher in the spring season. I started exploring the park in the old rose gardens. My excitement to see what was blooming was mixed with concern. If the snow drops, crocus and even daffodils were starting to bloom what would happen to our magnolias which tend to lose their buds in a late spring freeze or all the other spring plants that have been tricked into thinking that January 19 was spring in southern Ohio?
I wasn’t ready to see the adopt-a-plot gardens quite yet. It had been many weeks since I was last up to tend t the gardens. I knew we didn’t have many bulbs in our beds so the promise of something exciting seemed pretty slim. Also, I wasn’t ready to see how much work awaited me. With these early spring days I would be tempted to begin work on my gardens. Add to that I had completely re-hauled A Few of My Favorite Things and I knew it would look beyond sad.
But as I walked the paths of the old rose garden a flutter of excitement began to build and I was eager to see our adopt-a-plots. Many were bare, ready for a fresh spring planting when the time was right. A Few of My Favorite Things was a bit ragged looking, as many re-hauled gardens look before a new season of growth takes hold. But I saw promise. I could see where the cairns would stand and the curved stone ‘path’ would reside. Plant lists started to form in my mind and I had to resist the urge to get down and start playing; I had no tools, no gloves and my hands were freezing. 

It still amazes me how looking at a dormant garden can unleash a flood of garden centric plans, plant lists and memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment